Google’s local search uses various factors to determine where your business will rank in local search results. Learn how to improve your local rankings with Google here. If a customer Googled a specific business type (for example, “restaurants near me”), they would see a list of nearby businesses listed on Google Maps and Google search; where your business appears on this list is your local ranking.
What is Your Local Ranking
Google uses an algorithm based on three key factors to determine your local ranking:
- Relevance: How well your local business profile matches the customer’s need (what they are searching for).
- Prominence: Reviews, links, search frequency, articles, directories, and more determine how well known your business is.
- Distance: Where your business location is in comparison to the search query.
Your ranking is determined by combining these factors, so you cannot ignore one of them. For example, even though your business may be closer to a customer, a competitor may rank higher than you if the algorithm determines that they are more relevant.
5 Tips to Improve Your Local Ranking with Google
If you are finding that your business is not ranking where it should be, there are a few things you can do:
1. Regularly Update Key Information
- Physical Address
- Contact information (website, phone number, etc.)
- Operating hours (including special hours) for the business
- Business category
- Description of business on Google Maps
2. Add high-quality photos
Share the story of your business with the world by adding high-quality photos of your team, your products, your offices, and relevant offerings in your industry.
3. Encourage customers to leave reviews and respond to reviews on your page.
This shows that you value your clients’ feedback. If your customers leave positive reviews, it will also contribute to your ranking.
4. Regularly post on your Google My Business (GMB) profile
Share relevant announcements, offers, and events as often as you can.
5. Set up a Q&A section on your GMB profile to boost engagement.
It is always best to answer any questions as soon as possible.
Keep in mind; these tips will only be helpful once you have added your business to Google Maps and verified and claimed the listing.
Chesapeake Digital Solutions is a proud member of the world-renowned WSI Digital Marketing network. If you are looking for tried and tested digital marketing strategies for your business, contact us today.